It’s that time of year when apples are everywhere! They are abundant in all the stores and at the outdoor markets. There are homemade apple fritters and fresh pressed apple cider, apple butter and apple jelly, applesauce, apple pie, caramel apples, and so much more. Needless to say, that’s what inspired this recipe.
We are also making a conscious effort to eat vegetarian meals more often in our home, consuming smaller portions of meat and eating it less frequently.
What’s prompting this? Meat consumption worldwide is thought by some to be more damaging to the planet than anything else. As the world population grows and meat consumption increases, we are burning through natural resources to support the demand. Forest land is being cleared for pasture. Animal waste is running into our water supply. It is devastating to our environment in many ways and is unsustainable long term. This article from the Worldwatch Institute explains in more detail.
This recipe is filling and nutritious, easy to make and delicious! And you won’t miss the meat.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 medium sized gala apples chopped
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 3 scallions green parts sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Bring quinoa and chicken stock to a boil in a medium-size saucepan. Cover and simmer until all liquid is absorbed, 15-20 minutes. Let sit and cool completely.
- Mix all salad ingredients with quinoa.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together. Pour over salad and toss.