Yum!! Vietnamese Summer Rolls with shrimp and a peanut hoisin sauce are always a crowd pleaser at our house.
A light meal that is also a fun family activity because everybody gets to make their own. Soaking the rice-paper wrapper without losing it in the bowl of hot water is a challenge. It takes a little practice. Give it a try!
The trip to the international market is always so interesting. What are all those things anyway? Rows and rows of fruits and vegetables and we don’t even know what they are.
|Prep Time||25 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 2/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 3 tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tbs. soy sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs. large cooked shrimp
- 3 oz dried rice-stick noodles toothpick thickness
- 12 8-inch rice-paper rounds
- 1 lb. carrots coarsely grated
- 4 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage coarsely chopped
- 1 cup peanuts chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 jalapeños chopped (optional)
For the sauce
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Set aside.
For the summer rolls
- Put noodles in a heat-proof bowl and cover with boiling hot water. Soak noodles for 10 minutes then drain.
- Gently immerse 1 rice-paper round in a large bowl of hot tap water for 5 seconds, turning to make sure the entire round goes in the water. Lift it out and lay the round on a work surface or plate, smoothing it out and maintaining the circle shape.
- Place 3 cooked shrimp in a line in the center of the rice-paper wrapper.
- Put 1/4 cup of cabbage across the center of the wrapper, leaving about 1 1/2 inches uncovered around the edges. You will need this to roll it up.
- Top with 2 spoonfuls of shredded carrots, then sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
- Top with a spoonful of noodles.
- Layer with a few mint leaves, cilantro sprigs, and basil leaves. Add chopped jalapeños if you want it spicy.
- Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of sauce on top.
- Fold the edge of the wrapper over the line of shrimp until it touches the other side of the wrapper, tucking in filling as tightly as possible. Then fold in the sides and continue to tightly roll until sealed.
- Repeat with remaining wrappers. Enjoy!
These were delicious! Can’t wait to make them again:)