These N.C. State Wolf Pack parents cooked up a Fajitas Feast! Michael requested gluten free, dairy free, grain free, oh my!
No problem. These Chicken Fajitas over Cauliflower Rice were all of those things and delicious! Served with a side of guac, salsa, (optional sour cream) and fresh cilantro, my mouth is watering just thinking about how good it tasted.
Of course, the best part was that we made this meal together! Missing our kids who are far away from home.
Sure beats cafeteria food! The recipe is below. You can find the Guacamole recipe here.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 1 large head cauliflower or one large package riced cauliflower
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breasts butterflied
- 2 large white or yellow onions sliced
- 2-3 bell peppers cut into thin strips
- 1 tbs. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- avocado or olive oil
- handful fresh cilantro
- wedges of lime
- Cut the cauliflower into small pieces. Use a grating attachment on your food processor if you have one. The regular blade will do too. Add the cauliflower florets and process to make pieces like rice. Set aside.
- Mix the chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne pepper together in a small bowl. Season both sides of the chicken breast pieces with 1 tbs. of the seasoning mix.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbs. of avocado or olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook until it's done, about 10 minutes, turning once. Remove to a plate and set aside. When cool, slice into thin strips.
- Add 1 tbs. of oil to the skillet. Add the sliced onions and peppers. Season with salt and black pepper. Cook until crisp tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 tbs. of seasoning mix to the pan with the onions and peppers. Add the sliced chicken, and stir to combine. Heat to warm through for 3-5 minutes. Then turn off the heat.
- While the chicken and vegetables are cooking, heat a second skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbs. of avocado or olive oil. When hot, add the cauliflower rice, and a pinch of salt. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is crisp tender.
- Spoon the cauliflower rice onto plates. Top with the chicken, onions, and peppers. Serve with guacamole, pico de Gallo, fresh cilantro, and fresh lime wedges.